January 04, 2012

Papercuts

Dear readers,

Apologies for the delay! The past few months have been spent travelling the East Coast, and I have just gotten settled back at home. Rest assured there will be more posts now -- with inspiration derived from my artist friends in New York, and from museum-going and personal research, I'm excited to try out some new projects and styles of art.

First up is papercutting, which is completely engaging and satisfying. I'm working with acid-free sketch paper now, but hope to upgrade to silhouette paper when my shipment arrives. In the meantime, I'm honing my ability to control the knife and make precise, fine cuts. Here are two examples of "sketches" I made this morning (cutting is basically sketching with an X-acto knife in lieu of a pen).

A small bird:

Strathmore 60 lb paper, 2.5x3"

And a rabbit:
Strathmore 60 lb. paper, 8x8"

I'm getting inspired by reading more about papercutting -- especially in this book by Rob Ryan.


I'm nowhere near that level of detail yet, but am practicing and aspiring!

--Kim--

No comments:

Post a Comment